Sunday, April 17, 2011

Running.... a long ways!

I have always loved running. I started running in middle school and haven't really every stopped. My style and competitiveness has changed but everything else remains the same. I love to run. Running has a way of turning a bad day into a good one. It is simple, put on a pair of running shoes and head out the door. I prefer trail running over road running and I am fortunate because I have trails near by.

I ran my first marathon when I was 19. I had a great experience and this kicked off my love for the longer distance. I have since "retired" from the long pavement pounding races. I found that I wasn't really enjoying running on roads for 3 1/2 hours. It hurt and my recovery time was weeks! So, I quit the road marathons and took on a new way of running. Trails.

Trail running fills me up. I love the different terrain, the ups and downs, curves and corners. The sound of the wind rustling the trees and seeing all sorts of nature. Most of the time I am either in the mountains or near a river. Living in Bend has given me the opportunity to run on some pretty amazing trails. I have completed numerous trail races ranging from 10k's to 30k's. Just last weekend I ran in the Peterson Ridge Rumble. It is a 20 mile run through the forest just outside of Sisters, OR. This was the second time I have run in that race and I plan on doing it many more times!

Last year I read, Born to Run. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to be inspired to run a long ways on trails! After reading it last year, I signed up for Peterson Ridge for the first time. This year, I have a new personal challenge. A 50k. Yep, 31 miles of pure trail wonderfulness! When I first signed up (last Friday), I had a mini freak out session and went right down to Foot Zone, our local running store. I bought a copy of Ultra Runner Magazine and just happened to run into Jeff Browning, a local ultra marathon runner. He calmed my nerves, gave me some tips and sent me on my way. I am now thoroughly excited! I managed to talk a few more of "girls club" running partners to do it also! That will make the training doable. We will be running in the Syskiyou Outback or SOB 50k on July 9, 2011.
Wish us luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment